Degrees and Certifications:
My name is Angie Dimitriou, and I am thrilled to be your Reading Resource Specialist again! This is my 5th year here at St. Mary, and my 13th year as an educator. I am very excited about working with the students, parents, and staff again.
My husband Harry and I reside in Woodridge and have three amazing children: Andrew, Anthony, and Kayla. We love traveling, walking our pup Meelo, running to activities, and reading books; it’s a big part of our special family time together.
- Learning Behavior Specialist 1 - St. Francis University, 2017
- Masters in Reading and Reading Specialist Endorsement– Concordia University, 2009
- Bachelor in Elementary Education and Middle School Endorsements in Psychology, Social Studies, Business– Northeastern Illinois University, 2001
Reading Tips and Tricks
Initial Book Activities
- Set aside a regular time and place to enjoy literature
- Browse the pictures and discuss ideas
- Talk about the characters, setting, the problem and solutions
- Have your child retell the story using the pictures
- Emphasize interesting sounds, patterns and rhyming words
- Encourage browsing and pretend reading
- Move your finger along as you read
- Make connections to the pictures
- Point out sight words
- Use books with predictable, repetitive story patterns to help with fluency and support
- Expand quick recognition of sight words
- Use pictures to confirm the meaning of text
- Support the use of phonics, familiar spelling patterns, and story context to determine unknown/new vocabulary
- Ask, "Does it make sense?"
- Retell and summarize stories to focus on important parts of the story
- Support the recognition of difficult or content related words
- Use "chunking" and knowledge of familiar word patterns to figure out new/unknown vocabulary
- Read with expression
- Select more complex text and chapter books
- Reread unclear parts of the story
- Stop and think about what you have read
- Encourage an interest in a variety of genres: biography, poetry, historical fiction and non-fiction
Most important at any level...
HAVE FUN, ENJOY, AND GET LOST IN LITERATURE!