News and Announcements
March 3, 2020
Dear parents and families:
The health and safety of students and staff in our school community are of the utmost importance. We are writing to provide you with an update on the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) health issue.
The Archdiocese of Chicago is closely monitoring the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Please note that all school staff have received the following recommended preventive actions, based on CDC guidance, to help protect your child(ren) and others from this virus and all illnesses:
• Wash your hands regularly with warm or hot soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work, or school, especially when someone is ill.
• Stay home when you are sick. Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. When at home, if possible, try to distance yourself from people who are sick.
• Contact your health care provider immediately if anyone in your home experiences any of the following symptoms: severe cough; rapid noisy, painful, or other difficult breathing; and dehydration.
• We ask that you notify our school if anyone in your home has any Coronavirus (COVID-19) or influenza symptoms. COVID-19 related student absences will be excused. We will work with affected students’ families in providing schoolwork and alternate education arrangements (e.g. e-learning) to ensure the continuity of your child’s education to the best of our ability.
All principals and teachers are being asked to:
• Provide plenty of hand sanitizer, cleaning wipes and tissues through their offices and classrooms.
• Clean and disinfect transmission points (doorknobs, light switches, desks, tables, hand railings, water fountains, etc.) regularly throughout the day.
• Ensure school maintenance staff has additional resources needed to increase sanitation/cleaning activities.
Travel-Related Recommendations (cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers)
Per the CDC and actions being taken by other organizations, any travelers who enter the United States after being in a level 3+ country on the CDC’s travel advisory list during the past 14 days should restrict their movements. If not already quarantined by government agencies upon return to the U.S., recently returned travelers from those countries are asked to closely monitor their health and practice social distancing for 14 days.
All non-essential, work-related travel to level 2+ locations per the CDC is suspended for Archdiocese of Chicago employees.
We will continue to provide updates and guidance as needed. Learn more at the CDC website (cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html) or the CDPH website (chicago.gov/coronavirus).
Your sincere cooperation is extremely important and is greatly appreciated.
Yours in Christ, Jim Rigg, Ph.D. Superintendent of Catholic Schools Archdiocese of Chicago